[meteorite-list] 8000BC Big Dipper Petroglyph: Evolution of star positions

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:53:34 -0700

Hi Chris:

I rarely disagree with you, but I do this time (sort of).

There IS an option in "Starry Night" to look at the constellations over
time (using proper motion). The Big Dipper (an asterism, not a
constellation), looks very similar in 8,000 BCE to what it looks like
today. Chris: it is called constellations over time.

And "using a different method" (or whatever the statement was) to say what
the Big Dipper looked like then makes no sense. I doubt that the
petroglyph could have been used to depict what the Big Dipper looked like
100,000 years ago.

Larry