[meteorite-list] 8000BC Big Dipper Petroglyph: Evolution of star positions

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:54:35 -0700

Hi Chris:

VERY Sorry!

Just pointing out (it was sort of in the back of my mind at the time),
that Starry Night DOES have a special routine for looking at the
constellations and asterisms back in time. That was all!

If you use the Starry Night to go back 100,000 (actually the limit is
99,999 years, but who is counting), the diagram that Robert Juhl showed of
the 7 bright stars of the Big Dipper is sort of correct. But this is
100,000 years ago, not 8,000. I was somewhat confused by Robert's comment
that Wu Jiacai used "different assumption." What other assumptions are
there that would significantly change the proper motion of the start over
this period of time (I think the program actually takes the distances to
the stars as well as their direction of motion, so some stars get closer
and move faster while others get farther away and appear to move slower).

Again, Chris, I apologize, I only meant that the program does let you
"look back" 100,000 years.

Larry