[meteorite-list] UARS Satellite to Re-Enter Earth's Atmosphere This Week

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

Space Weather News for Sept. 20, 2011
http://spaceweather.com

UARS, a NASA satellite the size of a small bus, will re-enter
Earth's atmosphere later this week producing a brilliant fireball
somewhere over our planet. Best estimates place the re-entry time
during the late hours of Sept. 23rd over a still-unknown region of
Earth. Observers of the rapidly-decaying satellite say it is tumbling
and flashing, sometimes almost as brightly as Venus. Video images
featured on today's edition of http://spaceweather.com show how the
doomed satellite looks through a backyard telescope.

Readers who would like to catch a last glimpse of UARS streaking
across the night sky should check SpaceWeather's Satellite Tracker
for flyby times: http://spaceweather.com/flybys . You can also turn
your smartphone into a UARS tracker by downloading our Simple Flybys
app: http://simpleflybys.com