[meteorite-list] Good news

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 16:37:03 -0400

Hi E.P. and List,

Since meteorites are unregulated (thank God!) and there is no
standardized grading system, then it would be very difficult for
anyone outside of the meteorite world to appraise any given specimen.
An experienced "all purpose" appraiser may know his/her gems,
antiques, and coins, but probably doesn't know the first thing about
space rocks.

If eBay starts requiring appraisals or certifications for meteorite
sales, then that will probably be the death warrant for eBay meteorite
sales - which will result in a not-insignificant loss of revenue for
eBay. eBay is profit-minded, if nothing else, so I think it is in
eBay's best interest not to go down that road.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com