[meteorite-list] MESSENGER Revealing More Details About PlanetMercury

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:31:25 -0500

An article that expands the implications of
this data is at:
http://www.space.com/13127-planet-mercury-revealed-nasa-messenger-spacecraft.html

It might be of use to someone trying to figure
what a Mercurian meteorite would be like:
"The composition of Mercury's surface is
substantially different from that of other
terrestrial planets, according to Messenger's
scans of the X-rays emanating from the
planet. For instance, Mercury's surface
possesses at least 10 times more sulfur,
or brimstone, than Earth or the moon...
The measured ratio of potassium, a volatile
element, to the non-volatile elements
thorium and uranium revealed levels
of volatile materials comparable to the
other terrestrial planets... Measurements
of gamma rays emanating from the planet's
surface also support theories that Mercury
originated from material comparable to that
of stony chondritic meteorites... Altogether,
this surface chemistry suggests the planet
formed from material now seen in certain
stony chondritic meteorites and cometary
dust particles... Nittler said. 'Our work is
showing that at some level, Mercury formed
from a different mix of these building
blocks than did the other terrestrial planets.' "

They don't say WHICH chondrites are the
"certain" stony chondritic meteorites, however.
Any guesses?

Let's Google Larry Nittler. Hmmm:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/333/6051/1847.abstract
The abstract says: "the planet's surface differs
in composition from those of other terrestrial
planets. Relatively high Mg/Si and low Al/Si
and Ca/Si ratios rule out a lunarlike feldspar-
rich crust. The sulfur abundance is at least
10 times higher than that of the silicate portion
of Earth or the Moon, and this observation,
together with a low surface Fe abundance,
supports the view that Mercury formed from
highly reduced precursor materials, perhaps
akin to enstatite chondrite meteorites or
anhydrous cometary dust particles. Low Fe
and Ti abundances do not support the
proposal that opaque oxides of these elements
contribute substantially to Mercury's low and
variable surface reflectance."

Here's a more detailed account (from June, 2011,
with graphs) that speaks to what meteorites the
Mercurian surface might resemble:
http://planetary.org/blog/article/00003067/
" Other models proposed that it [Mercury] formed
from a specific kind of meteorite called CV chondrite
that are very very rich in metal. For the most part
these are not in detailed agreement with our
observations, but variants cannot be ruled out."
A polite way of saying "forget CV's."

Other models on which doubt is cast? A larger
version of Earth boiled down? No way. Mercury
stripped of crust by a giant impact? Well, that's
looking dubious, too.

Just waiting for more data...

Sterling K. Webb