[meteorite-list] AD - Amber Overstock - Buy Amber, Get Free Meteorites! And, FREE MARTIAN MICROS!

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 02:31:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mike, listers

I just looked at some of your interesting ambar, as I happen to have a
resiny spot in my fossilized heart for the stuff, too. Ambar is a
difficult subject for casual enthusiasts. So I just wanted to add a
couple of tips while you have your ambar for meteorites swap going on.

Baltic amber: 90% of tyhe stuff being sold in shows and over the
internet is reconstituted, as are most of the inclusions,. basically
faked IMO. When buying Baltic, since scrap and tiny pieces can be
combined by just melting it together, be sure to understand exactly
what you are getting from your supplier and only buy from one you
trust. Any of the stuff with that look of bubbles which the
non-natural history enthusiast may think looks interesting - those
bubbles are caused by reconstitution; etc. Know your supplier.

Mexican ?mbar. Mike has a cute selection. Bring back lots of memories
of

hmmmm....infections of falling down mudbanks, crumbling mountainsides
and collapsing crap everywhere; and foolishly risking life to recover
lots of this stuff on site, were were mud falls, bad Mayans aad a host
of obstacles all tending to slit your throat if you let down your guard
there, including one guy who unsuccessfully did his best to kill me in
an old fashioned fight that I didn't start. Sheesh, I think he was from
another planet or nuts, thought there are many like him and murders are
commonplace. Like I said a lot of fun memories, and all that for
basically a waste of time as I haven't sold more than three pieces
except many rare insect inclusion stuff (I have piles of this
stuff).....

Attached is a sample of some real raw stuff I happen to have with me at
the moment; Mike's stuff almost all labeled as *raw*, should all be
labeled as *rough*, it is not raw. The rough stuff you can get an idea
how clear the ambar is inside; the raw stuff has a black coating
something like fusion crust around it and this crust gets broken when
pieces are chipped out of the ground matrix in which they are found.
Clear is cool, valued more, but most have not insects, but moss
inclusions inside them. The chances of finding any insect of
sigicicance from rough stuff is next to impossible. The locals just
wet the suface and can see whatever is inside., and then it gets sold
as 'unsearched', anyway. Let me tell you, they could find a protozoan
inclusion in a stack of rocks, they have eagle eyes. So ask your
supplier about the real story.

In the image of the raw stuff is a piece I personally professionally
cut and polished to see a good quality piece inside. This one has some
slight UV action going on and is unique to Mexican and Caribbean ambar
- the Solar UV comes in and the ambar has the ability to absorbe it and
re-radiate it in the visible blue region - very cool physical/chemical
property.

http://www.diogenite.com/Chapas.jpg

I've also attached a rough larger piece for fun, good piece to get
carved into a dragon, or maybe a Budda, etc.

http://www.diogenite.com/Chapas2.jpg

Kindest wishes
Doug