[meteorite-list] AD - Amber Overstock - Buy Amber, Get Free Meteorites! And, FREE MARTIAN MICROS!

From: Pete Pete <rsvp321_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:44:13 -0400

Hi, Mike, Doug, and All,

It seems that an attraction to meteorites draws a crowd that just likes a variety of old stuff.

I, too, am fascinated by amber!

Being of Lithuanian heritage, I have a lot at my disposal for examination.

Under the stereo microscope, staring at a preserved bubble knowing there is ancient air preserved inside, or multiple star-shaped oak pollen that in my imagination are still viable, is mesmerizing.

I have found that maybe one out of twenty pea-size samples I have have some form of tiny critter within it, mostly gnats or similar.

One contains what appears to be a midge with a full, bloated abdomen. (I'm just reading up on DNA so I can clone my own dinosaur with the help of a frog from my pond.)

I purchased a Baltic amber specimen containing a spider and an ant recently from someone who is a well-established and reputable amber dealer on Ebay.

There are no cracks or seams, or any suspicious signs of tampering, but how can I be sure these aren't modern insects implanted?

I don't suspect that, but I'd like to hear some opinions what to look out for, for future purchases.

Cheers,

Pete