[meteorite-list] Bicentenary of the meteorite of Toulouse

From: Jonathan Abel <abelcompany_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:33:05 -0700

While we're discussing frog legs...may I show you three incredible frogs
I photographed in the Amazon that you might not want to deep fry - even
with garlic?

I rented a research station deep in South America's Amazon jungle to
find and photograph Poison Dart Frogs. Said to be the most poisonous
creatures on the planet, they have enough poison in the glands of their
backs to kill 10 men and are still traditionally rubbed on native darts
to nail large game - mostly monkeys. Here's the deal - once you cook the
meat, this most toxic poison in the natural world is rendered harmless!

This frog was smaller than your pinky fingernail, fully mature, and
living in a beautiful jungle orchid...and it is said these rare and
beautiful creatures are the most poisonous creatures on the planet.

My native guide brought me to the edge of the raging Napo River to find
this one -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26628652 at N08/6915136704/in/photostream

Jet black, gold metal-flake and green spotted pants...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26628652 at N08/7061218577/in/photostream

In 6 weeks of thrashing about in the transition zone between river
jungle and cloudforest (an environment that will actually begin to eat
you if you stand still) we found 3 poison dart frogs...all smaller than
your thumbnail. Below is the "Blue-Belly" hunting ants on his palm
leaf...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26628652 at N08/7061218577/in/photostream

Color? Here's a "Ruby" poison frog...they eat ants, spiders, scorpions
and store the poison in glands on their backs...they hunt during the
day, because all predators learn to leave them alone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26628652 at N08/6915134912/in/photostream

And a high-speed cobra knock-off...the Musarana...he's bright red only
during the third year of his life...the rest of the time he's black!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26628652 at N08/7061216367/in/photostream

Thanks for allowing me to show you these jewels of the jungle...they are
dangerous and doggone hard to find --- I think I'll go hunt cold falls!!

Jonathan Abel