[meteorite-list] What is Chladni's book on 18 meteorite falls title??????

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 22:51:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Listers

Thank you everyone for the great links. In the process of looking for the 1794 book that Chladni wrote "?ber den Ursprung der von Pallas gefundenen und
anderer ihr ?hnlicher Eisenmassen und ?ber einige damit in Verbindung stehende
Naturerscheinungen, (On the Origin of the Pallas
Ironand Others Similar to it, and on Some
Associated Natural Phenomena)

I did find a book that was written about him in 1866 by Franz Melde professor?in Marburg. With in the 60 or pages written about his achievements there is a big section that is covered about Chladni role in meteorites and talks about the first book he published in 1794. Down below is a translation of the writing by Melde.......

"This paper erschian in 1794 under the title: "On the Origin of the Pallas and others found their similar masses of iron, and some related thereto in connection phenomena. Riga, with Johann Friedrich Hartknoch "The first principle he stands up in this pamphlet.. That are the substance detected down fallen fireballs and Palla Forensic as well as others their similar masses all the same materials a fireball (or what the Latins Bolis, globe ardens , bolide, the Frenchman, de globe feu, the British fire call ball) Chladni characterized as the very rare natural phenomenon, as a fiery mass usually beginning in the shape of a bright star, or rather a shooting star at a considerable height is visible quickly in a obliquely down ward going direction moves, while in size and apparent to the moon, sometimes surpassing diameter increases, casts often flames, smoke and sparks and finally bursts with a fierce roar. This phenomenon is of different nature, researchers
 have been variously explained. the one hand, they brought with them the Zodiakallichtsmaterie together and for the reason, because as a result thereof, the northern lights and should have noticed was that many fire balls took its direction from north to south. The whole appearance of a fireball is against such a view. your Lieht is often extremely brilliant, the intensity of Northern Lights surpassing far, the shape, burning, bursting, etc. contradicts well, but the direction is not exclusively from North to South, but also can just as well be another, the great ball of fire, for example, which this year on March 11, 1866 observed in the region of M?nster, Osnabr?ck, and Oldendorf cell was, took its direction from southwest to northeast. The blast at the same burst was terrible in-four pieces, their brightness so that you could easily read it, has briefly who saw the appearance of a fireball or read the description of such a phenomenon, what is
 untenable will have to admit that explanation, the Italian physicist and astronomer Vasalli-Eandi that in 1787 a font. published memoria sopra il bolide, creates the fireballs from ELECTRIC matter at the transition of the latter from one to the accumulated area of ??the atmosphere to another, which contains less. Chladni this view is refuted in all directions, for example, just to cite one, he says, "to get noticed more often a real burning, and flames, smoke and sparks and sometimes break forth from orifices, has seen is true not only consistent with phenomena of electricity. " Had the foul, slimy and oily vapors serve once in order to explain these meteors can be expected, in particular, it was the preacher and scientist silver strike in Berlin and the Swedish naturalist, mountain men, who paid homage to this theory: that vapors from the lower shifts upward rise and unite here to those structures Hesse. Shortly there was not on modes of
 explanation, the inconsistency must be first established, and is of Chladni first demonstrated thoroughly. Two men were there before Chladni, who pronounced the conjecture, it would be this Feuerkugelu real masses of matter that would have been scattered in space and attracted by the earth. These two men were the astronomers at the observatory Green wicher Halley and his later successor Maskelyne. But the antiquity of these remarkable phenomena has turned its attention and views expressed, which are very close to the truth, and respect those in later centuries, before a series of follies would have to protect. "Shooting stars, says Plutarch, in the life of Lysander, are in the opinion of some physicists do not ejections and outflows of ethereal fire, which is in the air immediately after the inflammation go out, nor any infection and inflammation of the air in the upper region, was dissolved in abundance, they are much more a case of heavenly bodies in
 such a way that they will be hurled by some remission of the centrifugal force and by throwing an irregular movement, not only for the inhabited earth, but also outside in the great sea, for which reason they they will not find "To all to the more correct and the false Chladni has mentioned in the" very little work his views now gone. fireballs consist of dense and heavy raw materials, and are not telluric, but cosmic body, most shooting stars are probably otherwise. With regard also Humboldt hieraufhat in his Cosmos founder set of these views is a monument, when he says: "A noble beneficent skepticism, rejecting what facts, without having to find out they want is, in some cases almost more pernicious than uncritical credulity. Both prevent the focus of the investigation. Though tell for two and a half thousand years the annals of the nations of hard cases, several examples were out of the same by unverwerfliche eyewitnesses all doubt set dio B?tylien
 an important part made up of the meteor-worship of the ancients, and the companions of Cortes, in Cholula saw the aerolite, which to near the pyramid had fallen, although Caliphs and Mongolian princes had freshly fallen meteorites can forge swords, yes people have been killed by stones fallen from the sky (a friar to Crema on the 4th of September 1511, another monk at Milan in 1650, two Swedish sailors on a ship 1674), is still up on Chladni, who had already by the discovery of his tonal figures had an immortal merit acquired by the physics, such a large cosmic phenomenon, almost unnoticed, went unrecognized in his intimate connection with the other planetary systems. "

source
http://books.google.com/books?id=qMI_AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA24&dq=%C3%9Cber+den+Ursprung+der+von+Pallas+gefundenen+und+anderer+ihr+%C3%A4hnlicher+Eisenmassen+und+%C3%BCber+einige+damit+in+Verbindung+stehende+Naturerscheinungen&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IbyHT6moJeXe0QHFh-D-CQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=%C3%9Cber%20den%20Ursprung%20der%20von%20Pallas%20gefundenen%20und%20anderer%20ihr%20%C3%A4hnlicher%20Eisenmassen%20und%20%C3%BCber%20einige%20damit%20in%20Verbindung%20stehende%20Naturerscheinungen&f=false

Now I just need to find the PDF file of the first publication which I can convert to text and have google translate it or find the actual pamphlet from 1794 :)

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBay Store
http://www.ebay.com/sch/ph0t0phl0w/m.html?