[meteorite-list] UV Light

From: Bernd V. Pauli <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:54:49 +0000

Chris inquires: "Do meteorites 'glow' under a UV light?"

I don't know whether meteorites glow under a UV light but I do know
that meteorites glow, i.e. some meteoritic minerals emit light when
exposed to an electrical discharge => luminescence

Herschel was one of the first to observe thermoluminescence (TL),
which is a result of heat stimulation.

Samples irradiated by an electron beam can glow with what is called cathodoluminescence (CL).

A thermoluminescent mineral is usually cathodoluminescent as well.