[meteorite-list] Met Bulletin Updates - 2 NWA's and a Nova, and a Question regarding Nomenclature

From: Jim Wooddell <nf114ec_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 06:14:46 -0700

Hi Mike and all!

3.4 Meteorites of unknown or poorly known provenance.

  (a) Withheld information. Where the source of a new meteorite cannot be
determined due to the withholding of geographic information by a collector
or other party, the name should be chosen to reflect the smallest geographic
feature identifying the collection location with certainty. If the location
information is too vague, or is uncertain or disputed, the name Nova
followed by the next available three-digit number should be adopted as the
permanent name.

  (b) Transported meteorites. When the provenance of a new meteorite cannot
be determined due to a lack of sufficient historical information, it should
be named after the locality where it was first recognized. For meteorites
found in institutions such as universities and museums, the name may be
either that of the institution, the collection, or the city in which the
institution is located. In accordance with?3.6, the names of people, even if
part of the official name of the collection, should be avoided.

  (c) Meteorites found in large numbers. In cases where many meteorites are
found and distributed or sold without careful documentation of provenance, a
numbered sequence of generic names should be used as in ?3.3c, wherein the
prefix reflects the geographic area in which the meteorites were most likely
recovered (e.g., Northwest Africa, for meteorites coming from marketplaces
in Morocco).

  That might help answer your questions.