[meteorite-list] Ensisheim 2012: detailed news

From: Prof. Zelimir Gabelica Université de Haute Alsace ENSCMu, <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:13:08 +0200

ENSISHEIM ?METEORITE 2012? NEWS
(April 25, 2012)

Dear meteorite friends,

Yes, here are finally the probably much expected details about the
next ?Ensisheim-2012? meteorite show.

Each year, I used to send you the show flyer earlier in time and then
some more specific news. I also used to regularly reply many of your
requests for table reservations

This year I remained unexpectedly silent.

PREAMBLE

As some of you might know, my recent long silence on the mail was due
to some serious health problems that quenched me in hospital and
recovery centers for almost 3 months.

In short, on January 9, I had to enter hospital for the heart surgery
that was programmed since long months. I expected to stay silent for a
reasonable period of about one month, this including the surgical
operation (double coronary artery bypass) and the consequent recovery.

Unfortunately, 2 days after the surgery, I got, very unexpectedly, a
pulmonary embolism while still in hospital room, that resulted in a
shock (coma) for 11 full days, before I was again awakened.
I don't even remember what happened but when I woke, I had lost some
20 kg, almost all my
muscles and the faculty to breathe correctly.

Fortunately the bypass operation was a total success so that I was
first brought to the emergency department of the hospital for a
preliminary 18 days health recovery, then to a separate institute
where I spent 5 other weeks to recover physically (learning to walk
again
correctly, then intensive physical training).

The happy news is that all went well as hoped, that neither the coma
nor the pulmonary
embolism (that also completely vanished) did not result in any adverse
sequel, and that I
have now completely recovered my former health, with, in addition, "brand new
heart arteries".

Since the end of March, am in my Belgian home until May 6th for
convalescence and a welcome rest. On May 7th, I will be again in
Mulhouse, in direct connection (though this connection is permanent
wherever I am, should the computer cooperate ?see below).

I want to apologize to all of you who had sent me messages, for my silence.
Recently I started to read most of them but then my computer also
caught some disease and did not fully cooperate.

Today most of these electronic problems are solved and I could
finalize the Ensisheim flyers, so I can follow up with these news.

The hours and days that follow will be devoted to answer specifically
all your numerous questions and requests. Please don?t be upset and
accept my sincere apologizes for my very late answer. Thanks for your
understanding and patience.

Please find here down the official announcement of the 13th edition of
our ?ENSISHEIM SHOW? that I traditionally use to forward to all of you
who are on my mailing list.

ENSISHEIM-METEORITE-2012

Yes, definitely, the 13th edition of our ?ENSISHEIM SHOW? (?
Ensisheim-meteorite 2012?) is well scheduled for next June.
As every year, please find here again, as a preview, a summary of the
main features and issues relative to the 2012 event. This info
completes the official flyer that I will be glad to forward you
individually, upon request.

SHOW DATES:

Saturday June 16 (9:30-18:00) and Sunday June 17 (9:30-16:00), 2012
(the weekend preceding the famous ?Mineral & Gem? show that is held in
Ste Marie-aux-Mines, relatively nearby (~ 80 km) (not to be confused
with the ?Euro Mineral and Euro Gem 2012?, formely scheduled at the
Colmar exhibition grounds at the same dates, now officially cancelled)

SHOW THEMES:

Main theme: ?Meteorites in History? (thus what we use to call
?HISTORICAL METEORITES?).
Side theme: ?Draveil meteorite, a 2011 Franch fall?

FRIDAY ACTIVITIES

Friday 15th is the "DEALER?S DAY" devoted for tables/booth set up. As
last year, the Regency Palace rooms are exclusively open to dealers
(14:00 - 18:00), and NOT to the public.
Those (non-registered dealers) who exceptionally wish to visit the
show rooms during table installment on Friday afternoon must ask for a
special visit card (badge) and should pay a ?discouraging? 5 euro
entrance fee

Note : dealers can also (continue to) set up their booths on Saturday
16th morning (7:30 ? 9:30) before the official show opening.

The Regency Palace halls & rooms close on Friday 18:00.
Gathering at the main square is scheduled for 18:15 when the opening
ceremonies start: welcome address, enthroning ceremonies, friendly
drink & tastings offered to dealers & invited friends

Between 18:00 and 18:15, you have the option to rapidly visit the
thematic exhibit (historical meteorite display) in the Regency museum,
where I will take a real pleasure to guide you.

FRIDAY DINNER PARTY

The traditional Friday Dinner Party starts at 20:00 on the main
square, inside the large tent, thus almost in the open air.

This party is now becoming UNAVOIDABLE (meaning it is more than recommended).
It is there that folks from all around the vast world meet, make
friends, set business, start deals
.
Everybody (emperors, kings, presidents, scientists, curators,
organizers, leaders or dealers, relatives, close (M or F) friends,
distant friends, strewnfield explorers, unknowns, tramps, outlaws
(?),... attending (or not) the dealer's day & enthroning ceremonies &
the "friendly drink", is WARMLY WELCOME!

In mid June, the climate is generally mild to hot (the mini cold wave
experienced in 2010 is relatively unlikely), though scattered
(thunder)storms are never excluded. And even if you plan to stay in
the tent and have the ?after-meal-fun?, bear in mind that the ?Friday
Night Fever? along with some specific beverages should maintain the
warm temperature for long night hours
..

Two meals (appetizer + beef or fowl (poultry) + desert (cook?s
surprise) selectively prepared by the owner of the nearby restaurant
"Le Boeuf Rouge" are proposed for a friendly price, not yet specified
but around 15 euro (about US $ 20), beverage not included (for some
?obscure? reasons
).
Vegetarian food is available on request (please specify when you reserve).

The excellent new brand ?Storky? beer (white or amber beer) probably
along with a ?special meteorite vintage 2012? beer recommended by the
cook, are available in unlimited quantities.
And there will be also some very pleasant fruit-based lighter and very
refreshing beer ?for women? (but also strongly recommended for men,
especially after midnight
).

The recommended wines always include our 2 traditional specifically
labeled vintages "Ensisheim-Meteorite 1492" Pinot Gris (white) and
"Ensisheim-Meteorite 1492" Pinot Noir (red), with the famous meteorite
fall painted on the label. Other red wines that traditionally
accompany meat-based menus (Bordeaux....) will be available.

Party can end any time (possibly before the "meteorite hot rush" the
next morning....)

Please, let me know (e.g. by mail) early enough, ideally before June
10 (slightly flexible deadline), if you want to attend the
dinner-party, thus:
* HOW MANY GUESTS you will bring and
* WHICH MENU (beef or poultry) you would prefer.

THIS RESERVATION IS A MUST, for obvious reasons (selection and
preparation of the menus in harmony with the total number of guests).
But please reserve only if you are (almost) sure to attend so that we
can fully meet all your commitments, needs and comfort (I hate heavy
and unnecessary administration, so please
.)

Fun is absolutely guaranteed during the party. I will maintain the
tradition that the one who can't have fun pays ME a glass of Bordeaux
(better for heart than beer
)!
(hmm
 if I don?t? take care of myself, I am sure to stay thirsty).

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY ACTIVITIES:

* General activities: ?Sales, trades, exchanges?
of various
extraterrestrial objects
(but is it really needed to repeat this one
more time ?).
Please note: sales of terrestrial rocks, minerals and fossils are PROHIBITED!

* Side activities: up to your best inspiration. Here we are very
flexible indeed but
 please just stay under the elemental legal
constraints.

* To help you having even more fun (in case
), we can offer:
- Permanent musical entertainment by the ?Ensisheim?s Accordion
Association? (Saturday 18:00 ? 20:00)
- Special demo of the Polish dancing group ?Tatry?: 20:00
- Don?t forget that the main square is a permanent dance floor any
time, anyhow, for every age. It already starts on Friday, after the
party.

SATURDAY DINNER

The Saturday dinner (not official but strongly recommended to all
participants) can either take part on the main "dancing" square, or
?anywhere else?.

- On the square, either inside the big tent or around the
umbrella-covered tables (6 chairs per table), you may order the
current meals served during the day, thus "tarte flamb?e", various
snacks, cakes + "selected liquids", but also special show menus (meals
based on grilled meat, sausages, ?merguez?,
French fries, salad
and
?re-selected liquids?) as well as a special ?meteorite-steak?, all
prepared by the organizers.

- For ?anywhere else?, we specifically recommend the option that had
met a significant success since 2010: Go to the restaurant "Le Boeuf
Rouge" located on the other side of the church, 20 m from the tents.
More than 120 guests can sit inside, in case of cold weather (quite
unlikely), but also in the friendly open-air courtyard (very likely).
This large open resort is partly covered by a wooden roof (in
improbable case of rain), partly just sun (or moon) - protected by
vineyard.

Meals are proposed there "? la carte" at very friendly prices (the
owner is also our Brother-Guardian of the Ensisheim meteorite): any
kind of food (quality - and quantity! - to price ratio largely
positive); beverage variety unlimited!

The advantage of that option (?Boeuf Rouge?) is not only the excellent
food (we had a very positive feedback in the last 3 years) but also
its proximity to the main hotel "Domaine du Moulin" or to the "dancing
square", whereto you could walk (or "creep"...?) any time in the deep
night....

SATURDAY & SUNDAY LUNCHES

Traditional lunches + all other specific snacks, including the very
popular "tarte flamb?e" (Alsatian pie) as well as the new options
(grilled meat and the big meteorite-sandwich) are permanently served
outside (umbrella-protected tables) or inside (sun and/or
rain-protected tent).
Lunches can be served to exhibitors in the Regency Palace on noon
time, on specific request.

OTHER ?SURVIVAL? ACTIVITIES

All the other activities on the main square (beer, wine sale,
fruit-beer, tee shirts, lager, snacks, beer, meteorite smuggling,
Polish vodka (?), mugs, edible meteorite, white beer, pins, merguez,
wine tasting, ?Storky? amber beer, French (or true Belgian!) fries,
?Storky? vintage, discussions, Gew?rztraminer, Russian brandy (?),
dark beer, Columbus memories, lager-mix, Pinot Noir/Gris, tequila (?),
beer, market trends, water (??)... and permanent museum visits are
maintained (some highly recommended!).

EXIBITION/ACTIVITIES related to the show theme

1) Thematic display in the Regency museum: METEORITES IN HISTORY

The traditional meteorite display in the museum will include many of
the historical well documented or sometimes far less known meteorite
samples.
So far we have reserved an entire space for almost all the existing
French meteorites. This is the private collection of Eddy Caulier, who
spent many years and even more money to find almost all the existing
meteorites, some museum size, some also as ?undiscerned chips? that
once escaped, one wonders how, the large museum collections. Their
historical background is well documented on aesthetic cards where many
detailed anecdotes could be read.
Eddy also promised to complete the display by other historical items,
mostly from Europe. Strasburg museum is now being contacted to
complete the French suite in terms of a few large size representatives.

Such a display is never complete so, yes, this is a CALL FOR SAMPLES!
This exhibition is open to anyone willing to bring for display an
interesting example of meteorite of which the history is less known to
the public or even seldom described in specialized literature. You are
then welcome to browse through your private collection treasures and
bring along the selected samples.

If you agree to bring such samples, please notify me ?asap? (mail) and
specify the name and all the scientific, anecdotic or personal data
that characterize your specimen(s) so that I can prepare in advance
the corresponding didactic labels.
The organizers and the 1200+ visitors we expect to visit the show are
sending you warm thanks in advance!

2) A special window will contain the main mass (less a few chips) of
the genuine DRAVEIL meteorite that struck the house of Mr and Mrs
Comette (pronounce ?comet?!) and damaged their roof. Draveil is
therefore a true ?hammer?.
Mrs Comette and also Pierre-Merie Pel?, the owner of the main mass,
will be present for comments.

3) This year we also wish to set up a window displaying the meteorite
samples that have been generously donated to the Regency museum by
some of our visitors (you! (?)).
This was a last year call from the Ensisheim Guardians to people who
wish to express their gratitude for being enthroned to leave some
symbolic (or valuable) gift so as to leave a trace of their permanent
thankfulness in our museum.

4) This year, we have 3 plenary lectures related to the appropriate themes:

* Saturday, 15:00-16:00:
Ludovic Ferri?re (co-curator of the famous meteorite collection in NHM
Vienna, Austria): ?The history of the historical meteorite collection
from NH museum, Vienna? (in French)

* Sunday, 11:00-11:30:
Alain Carion (Paris (F):
?The Draveil meteorite fall? (in French)

* Sunday, 11:00-11:30:
Jean-Marie Blosser (our ?Grand-Ma?tre of the St George Confraternity,
Ensisheim, France): ?The Ensisheim meteorite: true history, novel
anecdotes? (in French)

(Beyond the vicissitudes that hustled the renowned Ensisheim meteorite
through History, Jean-Marie will deliver us, in premium, a series of
curious and ? tasty ? anecdotes, totally inedited, that had
characterized the popular stone indwelling in the city of Ensisheim.
Don?t miss this opportunity to attend and learn more about this unique
meteorite that crossed more than 5 centuries with great rumble!
A translation in English could be ensured.

ACCOMMODATION

There are 4 hotels mentioned in the flyer with full contact data.
For memory:

*The nearest hotel is now the "Domaine du Moulin", the only place at
the walking distance from the show. A couple of weeks ago it was fully
booked but a few recent requirements have been acknowledged (due to
room cancelling?). Little hope to have a room free but you have
nothing to loose in trying.

*An accommodation equivalent to the ?Domaine du Moulin? can be found 5
km away from Ensisheim, namely at the ?ECHOMUSEE? resort: Hotel
Restaurant ?Les Loges de l?Ecomus?e ?, BP 7, Chemin du Grosswald,
68190 Ungersheim (30 rooms).
All details and reservation on line on the following link:

http://www.gralon.net/hotels-france/haut-rhin/hotel-hotel-restaurant-les-loges-de-l-ecomusee-ungersheim-14163.htm

*The "Niemerich" (Pulversheim) and the "Cheval Blanc" (Baldersheim)
hotels, both about 5 km distant from Ensisheim (excellent tip for
those having a car) are also always welcoming you.

IMPORTANT:
everybody must arrange for his own accommodation! If you call, they
all do speak English and German (possibly French?).
All hotel data (phone, fax, e-mail, web sites) available on the flyer.

Other features, data and remarks:

- ENTRANCE FEE: 4 euro for adults, allowing show and museums visits
for 2 days (Saturday, Sunday); children under 12: free

- TABLES: still limited to about 55. (around 45-50 dealers).
Note that one table is 160x80 cm, thus unusually large. Foresee your
table arrangements accordingly.
Price is per table, NOT per meter: unchanged since many years (see flyer).

- TABLE RESERVATION PROCEDURE.
Just write me! (mail is the most reliable contact, phone is more
tricky as I am not always there). My mail: ?Zelimir?
<Zelimir.Gabelica at uha.fr>

- TABLE AVAILABILITY.
All the former dealers have full priority to reserve their last year table.
We still have a few free tables for newcomers but I recommend you
reserve right now (or ?asap?)! First come, first served.

- IMPORTANT CALL TO OUR FORMER GUESTS:
Those who did not yet send their traditional "hello, please can you
reserve my usual place?", are urgently encouraged to confirm (or
cancel) their wish to keep their usual tables at their preferred
place. A map with table arrangements (basically the same as in 2011)
is available upon request.

I will also go through your earlier mail requests that accumulated
during my hospital stay and reserve, as per your wishes, the dates
defining the priority. If there are changes since you wrote, please
notify me by mail.

In any case, because of some possible slight variations in table
arrangements, the organizers reserve the right to possibly change the
layout of certain places.
So please hurry to reserve if you want to come again, as we already
have newcomers on a waiting list!

- ENTHRONING CEREMONY (Friday, 18:15).
The new guardians invited to join the Confraternity this year, are (in
alphabetical order):
        *Eddy Caulier (F/B)
        *Art Ehlmann (TCU, USA)
        *Ludovic Ferri?re (Vienna, F/A)
        *Claude Nauwelaerts (B)
        *Dima Sadilenko (RU)
        *Rob Wesel (USA)
These people are requested to send me their data and achievements (if
not yet done) in a short cv. A few more people are proposed by the
Confraternity council, among which Mrs Comette

- CONSIGNMENT ROOM
As every year, some space in the consignment room is still available,
free of charge, for the organizing committee and for those, especially
guests coming from far away, who wish to sell some of their meteorites
(ideally about 5-15 pieces).
Just write labels and prices and leave the pieces in the locked
tables, with info on how you should be contacted by potential
customers during the show. We will take care of your sales (all free,
no commission). Contact me personally.

- SHOW LEAVING BY DEALERS:
For public's respect, dealers are kindly asked NOT to leave the show
tables before Sunday 16:00. This is one of the rare restrictions we
must impose. Priority can be given to dealers who are able to fulfill
this request. Should you have a major problem with this, please
contact me.

- ORIGINAL DRAWINGS CONTEST:
Those who can bring proof they are still under age of 12
(?administrative? age because we ALL have a mental age below 12!) and
have an ?artistic soul? (who hasn?t ?), can propose us their best
drawings related to the theme: ?ILLUSTRATE THE CONSEQUENCES OF A
METEORITE FALL?.
Yes, you can bring drawings from the young artists from all over the
world! Just a name (signed painting) and age are needed to obtain a
?reward? (contest results & awards: Sunday 15:00)

THE FLYER

The official show flyer, now ready, will be available very soon on the
Ensisheim web site:
www.ville-ensisheim.fr
Just open the site and click to the link: ?Ensisheim-meteorite 2012?.
Those who wish to receive the flyer personally and rapidly, please
e-mail me. I will be happy to send it right away, as attachment, in
English or French version (please specify).

AS A (PROVISIONAL) CONCLUSION:

Needless to mention, the FUNNY (crazy ?), friendly and ever smiling
show ambience, that is progressively acquiring an ever growing
reputation, is absolutely guaranteed again (by YOUR simple presence)
for this 13th ?blast? in a row.
Should this event bring to all again much meteorite passion, fun,
faith and friendship!
Bring much nice stuff, your passion, your smile, some money and have a
happy hunting!

My ever growing best wishes to all,

Zelimir

--