[meteorite-list] Publishing advice for Tektite book

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:07:24 +0100 (BST)

Hi

I am seeking advice on how to go about publishing a tektite book. The book is practically complete now (after a very long time). It?s 420 pages, 6x9 inch, black and white with numerous pictures and diagrams. I have a few issues in that I would like to maintain copyright. I want to avoid major reformatting and rewriting as I have limited time. I want to keep the price affordable (I?m not in it for the money and I don?t want Elsevier charging $30 a page). I don?t have time to sell it myself. I want to avoid ebooks - hardback books are so much nicer, but may consider putting it online at a later date. I want to get the book out a.s.a.p. as?I think there is?some interesting material within, plus I have other projects to move on to. It's certainly a step up from the website, which I haven't updated for a while - more to come soon I hope though.

I don?t have any significant money constraints?so I may just self publish and print say 500 copies. I could do this either in the Philippines, UK or US. Philippines is probably easiest for me, but then the problem of distribution. I know about 3 people who?d buy a copy in Manila and I?ll probably give them a free copy! Possibly if I get cheaper printing in Manila it may offset postal charges. US has some great publishing sites, but I don?t live there, then again lots of meteorite collectors do! I?m sure some of you guys have experience and maybe can point me in a sensible direction here.

My email address is aubrey at tektites.co.uk I'll apologise in advance if I don't get back to you straight away as I'll be travelling in the next few days.

Regards, Aubrey
http://www.tektites.co.uk/??