[meteorite-list] Fire caused by meteorites.. Is it possible?

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:21:07 -0700

Hi Chris and Gary:

Comets can be "hot" (actually warm) relative to the ices in them, so we
are still talking about temperatures well below the melting point of
water, at least at the distance of the Earth. Even though the ices, when
mixed with dark material (carbon, for example) could potentially get warm
thanks to solar heating, the ice will sublimate (turn from solid to gas)
and keep the temperature down (essentially the same as evaporative
cooling).

Larry