[meteorite-list] BLM and Meteorite Recovery Policy

From: MikeG <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 15:10:32 -0500

Hi Doug and Numerous Listers,

I apologize for my little Indian rant earlier. It's obvious that this
issue is not only controversial, but it also touches upon issues of
politics and culture. There is a lot at stake here, and the issue
merits attention. But, we must be smart about it. Tempers and
personal interests aside, I think any increased regulation that
stifles meteorite recovery is going to hurt everyone involved -
hunters, dealers, trader/collectors, and scientists. Make no mistake,
nobody will emerge unscathed if nothing is done to correct this course
the BLM has taken.

Dr. Gessler had the most cogent advice in this entire discussion.
Please, let us all heed it :

Get something intelligent and persuasive down on paper. Put some
respected and authoritative names behind it and publish it in MAPS or
any other journal/venue where it will be considered with the
seriousness that it demands

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG
--