[meteorite-list] OFF LIST: BLM and Meteorite Recovery Policy

From: Jodie Reynolds <spacerocks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 14:38:35 -0800

Hi Nick,

You agree that the people should fear their government? Thomas
Jefferson might have noted the support of tyranny in such an
[apparent] statement {^1}.

Other respondents have noted instances where the "land management"
agencies have started small and eventually leveraged that impression of "they
only want a little" to ultimately kill the entire pursuit. It's a
standard playbook really: steal a small amount until the people say
"ouch", then wait until they've become accustomed to the new
standard, then steal a little more. Rinse, lather, repeat.

The OHV ("four-wheeling") community have spent untold fortunes
litigating themselves back into existence after allowing this very
thing. "It could never happen to us", right? We've heard others
refer to "treasure hunting"/metal detecting, antiquities,
paleontological collecting, etc., but that will never happen here -
no, better we should shut up and try not to anger the
government-beast.

Personally: I'd never accurately report another find; retroactive
legislation is all too common.

Best Regards,

--- Jodie

^1: "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the
government fears the people there is liberty." - Attributed to Thomas
Jefferson, possibly properly sourced to John Basil Barnhill.

Regardless of the source, it has proven a truism in every case.