[meteorite-list] Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 114, Issue 20 reply to Anne Black on provenance

From: Don Skidmore <Skiddylandhq_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:27:02 -0500

Topic: Listing of provenance
As a new collector I found Anne's listing of provenance refreshing. I nearly always ask for all prior provenances I can get on a piece and record it. It adds to the story. A meteorite deserves it!?
It saddens me when almost nothing is known on nicer pieces. In situ photos are especially nice and sometimes attainable upon request. Most reputable dealers are provenance enough as to authenticity, but I think the whole line of provenance celebrates an enjoyable aspect of collecting in addition to genuineness. It traces the journey through various hands, National borders, institutions, and collections... Some of the dealers and collectors in that lineage of temporary "ownership" add to the interest for personal reasons (numerous individuals come to mind) as well as adding in some cases monetary value. To some meteorite collecting combines geology, astronomy, history, and also, for me at least, humanity -as I come to know and appreciate the characters in the meteorite community. You folks have become part of this fascinating meteorite story... (active primary sources are sadly, but understandably kept private of course) When /if I begin one day to sell my collection the provenance will be shared and even c
elebrated!
Don Skidmore

Sent from my iPhone