[meteorite-list] how do you get off desert varnish from a oriented stone?

From: MikeG <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 12:06:09 -0500

Hi Steve and List,

I'd use a sandblaster and walnut shell media........LOL. No, just
kidding, don't do that.

Desert varnish is impossible to remove without damaging the underlying
texture and surface. You might be able to remove it using mechanical
or chemical means, but features like delicate flowines might not
survive the process.

I'd suggest asking those people who have removed the orange clay from
Millbillillie stones. Some people don't like that native orange clay
staining, so they clean it off. Millbillillie is known for having
delicate flowlines, so maybe whatever technique they use might work on
your stone. But, desert varnish will be more resilient than clay, so
you might be stuck with it either way.

Caliche is another matter - tricky to remove, but doable. It's not
vapor-deposited over time like desert varnish. Think of varnish like
coatings applied to optical glass, but thicker.

Best regards,

MikeG
--
Web - http://www.galactic-stone.com