[meteorite-list] Petition For a Pluto New Horizons Stamp

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 12:14:33 -0600

Gary, List,

If it's not a planet, why do we call it a dwarf PLANET?
Do you refer to everyone you know who is less than
five-foot-ten as a "dwarf person"? So-and-so isn't a person;
he's a dwarf person? Adjectives do not negate the thing
they describe.

So, we have dwarf planets, gas planets, rocky planets,
etc, but they're ALL planets. I take the IAU at its literal
word, not its irrational intent. As far as I am concerned,
Pluto is a planet, Ceres is a planet, Eris is a planet,
Makemake and Haumea are... You get the idea. Since
Vesta (now that we've seen it) probably formed "round"
and has been chipped away at ever since, it's a planet
(and likely Pallas and Hygeia too).

There are at least 23 planets, (despite the eccentric
opinions of an Uruguayan cosmologist to whom I would
suggest in reply that Brazil is a nation and Uruguay is
only a dwarf nation).

IAU: "A planet is a celestial body that (a) has sufficient
mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so
that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round)
shape, and (b) is in orbit around a star, and is neither
a star nor a satellite of a planet." I would add the phrase
"unless distorted by dynamic equilibrium," a condition
that unless added would eliminate Jupiter and Saturn
and even the Earth as planets!

Planet quarrels. Good times...

Sterling K. Webb