[meteorite-list] Petition For a Pluto New Horizons Stamp

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 13:58:46 -0600

Phil, Gary, List,

Well, they COULD be planets, but we have
not been able to determine if they are round
enough. We think "probably" but it hasn't
been sufficiently studied to be sure.

I count Haumea despite the fact that it is
multiply elongated. Its density is so high it
has to be mostly rock (2.85 +/- 0.3). It has
to be reasonably solid or its spin would disrupt
it. So it was (likely) spinning as it cooled. That
would class it as in a kind of dynamic hydrostatic
equilibrium.

But, sure, with enough data, we could have
50 or more planets. We do need a size cut-off
because some "round" objects are very small.
250 kilometers? Anybody's guess.

What's the big deal? Give Pluto the darn (word
substituted for a better word) stamp already...
Honor the achievement instead of trying to find
the littlest kid on the playground to pick on.

Not that I accuse anybody of that motive, but to
oppose a lousy stamp for a major feat of space
exploration (and astronomical discovery) seems,
well... petty.

Sterling K. Webb