[meteorite-list] Houston Space Center

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 15:49:34 -0500

Hi James and List,

It's all semantics and differing nomenclature.

The NASA official's definition of "moon rock" is one of the
government-owned samples brought back by the Apollo program. Or
perhaps his definition also includes ANSMET lunar meteorites, but he
obviously equates the term "moon rock" with illegal Apollo samples on
the private market. He does not know/care that the same term is often
used in the private meteorite community to refer to legal lunar
meteorites.

Any Apollo sample that is being offered by someone other than an
astronaut is likely to be illegal. Heck, NASA even went after it's
own astronauts from this same thing recently. But, not every "moon
rock" is an Apollo sample - plenty of "moon rocks" are legal lunar
meteorite samples.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber (Michael Gilmer)
Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com