[meteorite-list] 2nd Report from Strewnfield in Edgewood Texas

From: Marc Fries <mfries8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:48:36 -0800

Sorry - I'm sure I do have the HAS numbers, but my inbox is full of HAS
emails and I don't know which is which! Lotta fireballs lately.

And I'm frustrated that we don't have an easy answer to this one on
radar, but not upset. We've made a lot of progress and I'm pleased with
that, and pleased with how useful it is.

As for not ID'ing the meteor, most of the time the radars aren't going
to see a fireball directly. Weather radars look for weather (go figure!
heh) and so they are trained at elevations close to the horizon. The
only time we've ever captured a bright meteor on radar was the Mifflin
fall, and only because it passed at just the right distance from a radar
in high-res mode that included a sweep 19.5 degrees above the horizon.
That was beautiful - the Mifflin fireball shows up at over 28 km
altitude! The radar recorded a velocity of zero for the reflection; I
suspect that the actual speed was far in excess of the measurement
limits of the radar. Getting back to your question... The only radar in
high-res mode was the Shreveport radar, and it was too far away (and
apparently facing the wrong direction at the time) to catch the fireball
directly. The Fort Worth radar only elevated to 4.5 degrees, and the
TDWR airport radars don't elevate very high either.

Cheers,
Marc Fries