[meteorite-list] Cutting with water soluble oils?

From: almitt2 at localnet.com <almitt2_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 03:37:42 -0500

Greetings,

While I would shy away from using cutting oils on chondrites, Robert
Haag used an oil lubricant to cut Pena Blanca Springs. It was a water
soluble meteorite and would have dissolved (or at least some of it) by
using water. He had a method of removing most of the residue from the
slices after cutting. You could smell the oil though in slices for
sometime and maybe still can.

When I cut some Lafayette, I stayed away from using water as I didn't
want that to disappear down the drain. Best!

--AL Mitterling