[meteorite-list] Professor Colin Pillinger lecture - Stones from the sky: A heaven-sent opportunity to talk about science

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:27:56 -0500 (EST)

"Topham was known as a purveyor of the truth and as a magistrate"

Hi Martin and Graham, thanks for the friendly comments on this
historical giant, Cap'n Edward Topham;

When looking back with today's mindset, I think it can be very hard to
for us peering back into historical context to judge the actions of a
man, however, one thing that is a timeless yardstick is how a gentleman
treats the ladies; in this department Topham was a cross between a
terrible scoundrel and a Don Juan in golden underwear!

As for the being a purveyor of truth that might well be, but we also
probably ought to think about what sort of truth it represents and as a
purveyor to whom - for example, purveying whether so and so slept with
the future princess of Wales while truthful isn't necesarily a feather
in the cap of respectfulness! Just a thought ...

As for being a magistrate, nowadays, that would seem to have an air of
respect. But again, going back into the historical context, we can ask
how he became a magistrate and what that meant at the time. I don't
know for sure, but I'll speculate he was named magistrate by the king
because of the discontent folks that stormed parliament in the 1780
Gordon Riots. That is where Topham earned the King's favor, but by
today's standards it was more of a Kent State or Tinaime Square event.

Topham lead the violent charge to clear the place of the protestors who
were part of the unrest under the monarchy sweeping the Americas and
Europe, and was 'heroic' by the King;'s standards. I would suggest is
was that which got him named as magistrate. Let's look even further
into what was said about magistrates in the milieu, specifically, those
riots and what the magistrates represented:

In a parlamentary debate following the Riots, distinguished Parliament
member Edmund Burke said:

"The Middlesex magistrates are generally the scum of the earth". They
were the ones responsible to prevent the mob. Thus, reforms were made
after international attention was focused on how defective, corrupt and
ineffective, rife and subsisting with bribes and favors, the British
system of magistrates actually was and during that key decade for
Topham, new magistrates were appointed and now could receive
"stipends". So, a bit more speculation and we might conclude he just
earned an appointment to the royal gravy-wagon stipend by charging some
rioters on one embarrassing day for the King in June of 1780.

It is all very exciting British history and I am sure there are
archives somehwere that could define much better the veracity or lack
thereof of these conjectures, but one thing I am sure of: If an
American mob had been faced by the likes of Topham, he would have been
gleefully tarred and feathered ;-)

Kindest wishes
Doug