[meteorite-list] 2nd Report from Strewnfield in Edgewood Texas

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 00:17:58 -0600

Hello Mexico Doug and List,

Yes, I agree with the information about the hunt and the chase and the fun
and perils of wild animals and wild and crazy people. I wrote before to
Mexico Doug last night and I was confused and there was a misunderstanding
on my part about a quote of Doug's about me, and I understand now and
contacted him last night and all is well and now I understand he was
agreeing with me on the things that we are all concerned about while trying
to hunt for meteorites and everything involved.

All the best to Mexico Doug and the list.

Brian

Hi George, Eric & Guido

I generally agree with Count Guido; in the thick hammocks surrounded by
rich swampland where you see the panthers in Florida, the light can get
very tricky and towards animals all tend to black. I'm sure Eric saw
what he said, was definitly no wuss, and frequently footprints in the
sandy soil can be very difficult to dimension and size also vary
concordant with that besides the size/weight of the animal so that
really isn't a very reliable indicator although whatever he mentioned
he knows best...

...Speaking only for myslef, as I tend to hunt insects more than big
cats, that is. Really in Florida the only danger I ever worried about
wasa coral snake. But here's a panther in Florida on youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxO79138CQ#t=2m27s

lucky catch, but if you spend enough time in there you are bound to run
across these guys. Unless threatened, they will do exactly what you
see here and to say an experienced hiker in the 'Glades would be scared
is really not likely. Probably there are more food resources
everywhere here so they don't become irritable for food and break
people's neck's often (never that I heard). Plus the posting of the
Big Bend, TX incident was a 6 year old kid. Don't know the details but
I get the idea that the parents ought to have kept a better eye on him
no matter what is said. People get so bent out of shape over risk.
One swimmer gets bit by a shark and there is pandemonium. More people
get killed going to the beach in their cars ... same concvept with the
poor cats at work. But I guess if I were the unlucky one I'd be
whistling a different tune. So better jusdty to take normal
precautions and not do anything stupid, and respect the wildlife. I've
lost count of all the wild boars, large snakes and weird reptiles and
animals I've seen hunting in Mexico and so far keeping one's distance
with respect and everyone peacefully co-exists. Oh, but I can get the
crap scared out of me, too, don't get me wrong, all alone at night when
a cow moos the hell suddenly beside my tent and starts peeing on it and
you can't see your hand in front of your face. Then there's the
coyotes, I love 'em. But they can get into groups and start wailing
like a devil being exorcized and they don't quit. Yeah, I admit those
noises can be scarier than swimming with Great Whites, and you know
coyotes 99.9% of the time put their tail between their legs and take
off.

Kindest wsihes
Doug