[meteorite-list] provenance

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:26:52 -0500 (EST)

Martin wrote:

"you could easily avoid the sorrows ... "

Unfortunately, an NWA number is not the same as a named specimen to
collectors that attach sentimental value to localities, there is no one
size fits all rationale to valuing meteorites - it's a personal
decision and your point is fine for those hot for NWAs but not to use
gimmicks to say why one is better than the other ... the pendulum will
swing the moment a marketeer can get a foot in the door to hock his
jewels!

Got any authentic French L'Aigle originals in that NWA series?
Coordinates? Country? This is the first I've heard where someone
feels an NWA number is better than a named locality when it comes from
provenance, after all, the first owner is the earth who surrenders only
to deserving beings, and then the rest is usually a bash that follows.

"A meteorite is born, when it is published in the Bulletin."

That's a new one on me! So when we see the fall date, we can disregard
that and just ask (Ed)ith, the Bulletin Meteorite mommy ;-)

Just to be clear, you are of course right, as is Don, but sweeping
statements of 'my meteorite is the best' are best held privately to
avoid resurrecting Gavrilo Princip.

Kindest wishes
Doug