[meteorite-list] provenance

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:34:09 -0500 (EST)

"meant for fun not ... silly ... meteorites ... better "

"you love to jump in the time-machine to be there, when Shergotty was
distributed"

Hi Martin,

I'm overly senstitive to all the marketing gimmicks out there, so
please excuse me if I missed the humor the first time through. Your
"meteorite born in the bulletin" comment which I took seriously I guess
then was in reply to my comment about meteorites not having birth
certificates, ok, got it now, and have lightened up a bit for an
awkward smile.

Now as far as the time machine, I've beeen building one in the garage
with this old manual I got on eBay, written by this authentic, nameless
British scientist in the last 19th century who goes by the pseudonym
"Time Traveler"; it's among the rest of my unfinished projects I trip
over trying to take the car out to the market, but I finally realized
that if I do get it built, if nothing else than to clear a walkway to
the door, it would be a much more productive use just to go back and
give myself slaps in the face when I was about to do a few stupid
things - you know, like some old American TV show where two guys drive
a semi and meet people along the road and act as their angels or
another one of those where I just remember the introduction was
inspirational music and a simulate floating in and above the clouds and
some guy who was an angel who still hadn't finished his internship to
be let in.

Better yet, I'd build the time machine in reverse, so instead of
putting old me back in a younger world, it would just fry my own DNA
back to the way it was and have the whole rest of the world travel back
to me, just the way it is today ;-)

What's a few meteorites, you can get the most part of them, from
reputable dealers and honest collectors today if you have a high
frustration threshold, that would be such a waste for a time machine,
you know, parts are more expensive than meteorites in the long run.
Besides, how in the Dickens would I explain the provenance of a
Shergotty I picked up while time traveling? Would I claim the Ghost of
Christmas Past was paid me a visit and dropped it off, or would I just
resubmit it to science for inclusion in the dense strewn fields of time
the editors and committees of the Bulletin will have to work out before
they are even sure they know what to do with the complex world we
already have ;-)
Kindest wishes

Doug