[meteorite-list] Free Meteorite Samples for Science

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 21:44:25 -0500

Hi List,

This offer is for the scientists only.

Over time I have accumulated scores of specimens from various
localities and have cut or broken down these specimens into smaller
pieces for micromount collectors. As a result, I have a lot of
meteorite dust laying around that is too fine and "dusty" to sell. I
have no use for this material and it's just sitting in my specimen
cabinet, sealed in glass vials. I'd like to donate this material to a
scientist or institution that may have a use for this dust, perhaps
for destructive analysis or other purposes.

First, don't get too excited because I am not talking about pounds of
material. In ever case, the dust is less than one gram. Some samples
might be 100mg or less. But, it still might be useful.

Here is what I have available -

NWA 323 - unclassified
NWA 1877 - olivine diogenite
NWA 4688 - H5 chondrite
NWA 6287 - L/LL5 chondrite
NWA 6926 - achondrite ungrouped
Bassikounou - H5 chondrite
Bensour - LL6 chondrite
Carancas - H4-5 chondrite
Kilabo - LL6 chondrite
Sulagiri - LL6 chondrite
Unidentified chondrite - this might be Bjurbole. I purchased it from
Blaine Reed as unknown because the label had been lost, although he
said it was probably Bjurbole. It had a ton of loose chondrules in
it, which I picked out one by one with tweezers to sell as "loose
chondrules". Now I have the remaining dust.

I probably have more than I cannot think of at the moment and I will
include those samples as I run across them.

I would prefer to donate all of these to a single
institution/scientist to save shipping costs. Please contact me
off-list to inquire.

Best regards,

MikeG

Galactic Stone & Ironworks - Meteorites & Amber

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/42h79my