[meteorite-list] Fw: PVC death trap

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 11:51:48 -0500 (EST)

Hi Doug, Mark and List,

First thanks for all the great replies. I want to point out that I am
NOT anti- mining. I have been a lifelong Nevada resident and I believe
that mining and wildlife can co-exist in our State. My main purpose was
to increase public awareness of this problem. I was saddened by what I
found in the PVC marker and would like to see the problem cease. I
believe many of these tragic deaths( if not all) can be avoided. Over
the years while exploring the deserts of the
Southwest I have crossed paths with many of the PVC markers. Some of
the valleys are covered with markers as far as the eye can see. Many of
the claims are long forgotten and the only reminder are the broken
markers littering the
Desert floor. In fact our State Bird the mountain bluebird has
frequently fallen victim to these pipes.

Here is a link to an article. PVC pipes trapping, killing birds by the
thousands "A troubling find was that "about half of those markers that
HAD PROTECTIVE CAPS put in place at some earlier point in time, now
had those caps DISPLACED, on the ground nearby," said state biologist
Christy Klinger. "So the hazard from the pipe became
re-established."Here is a link to the article.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/22/8955697-pvc-pipes-trapping-killing-birds-by-the-thousands

Sorry for the incomplete post. I have a meteorite hunting trip planned
today with a small army of PETA types to spread out into the desert
knocking over snd deatroying other peoplesproperty markers and
hopefully find a few meteorites. : )

Sonny