[meteorite-list] New Met Bulletin Approvals - new Czech meteorites

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:20:52 -0700

Hi Gary,

Yes, 20 years seems a bit short for W3. I know it rains a lot in Czech
Republic -- more than Roosevelt County!, but here are some estimates
of the terrestrial ages of the weathering grades taken from Wlotzka,
F., Meteoritics, vol. 28, no. 3, volume 28, page 460-460:

"A correlation between these weathering grades and the terrestrial
ages was shown for meteorite finds from Roosevelt County, New Mexico
[1]. In these climatic conditions the weathering grades W2 to W6
develop in the following times: W2, 5000 to 15,000 yr; W3, 15,000 to
30,000 yr; W4, 20,000 to 35,000 yr; W5 and W6, 30,000 to >45,000 yr.
Similar terrestrial ages were found for chondrites of these weathering
grades from the Lybian and Algerian Sahara [2,3]. Antarctic meteorite
finds weather much more slowly. A check of 53 Antarctic ordinary
chondrites (of hand specimen weathering categories A to C) showed only
9 of grade W2, the rest being W1. Among the W1s is ALHA77278 (category
A) with a terrestrial age of 320,000 yr"

Best regards,

Carl Agee

PS: we don't what the climate was like in Roosevelt Co. 30,000 years
ago, maybe it was wetter too!

Message: 1