(unknown charset) [meteorite-list] New Fall in China further information

From: (unknown charset) 博方 李 <bryanlilee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 23:25:12 +0800 (CST)

Hello Jim,

I am glad you reply the massage so fast. I had been in the falling place from 16th to 18th Feb. The county's name is Huangzhong, and about 50 Kg northwest of Xining City, so I accomodateed in Xining during the night,and drive to the falling area every day.

There are 4 bigger pieces landed in 4 villages.The biggest one is 12.5kg individual, landed on the mountain top of Xiaosigou village; the second bigger piece 7.5kg,which is broken while landing, in Baiya village; the third piece less than 5kg also broken,landed in in a villager's houseyard,Hergey village;the fourth one landed on the concrete road of Yehong village,broken into many pieces,and cannot calculate the exact weight,but according to the crater,should be no less than 2kg.

If you are not sure about the source of your information, I wish you will trust me. I'd been there myself. In the following link, please find some pictures,which I took in the falling area.But the copyright is reserved,please do not use it without my permittion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49390711 at N03/?saved=1

The classification of the meteorite should be L5 or L6, shock stage should be around 3, but everything we have to wait the final resault by the scientists. To some extent, I feel this shower is a little bit like Suizhou shower in 1986, or Yanzhuang Shower in 1993. There are only bigger pieces been found,and havn't seen any smaller individuals until now. What I can say is this shower is not like Juancheng 1997 fall,which has so many small individuals.

Regards!
Wu
Email:wyh619 at 163.com

Hi Wu!

I had not seen this post you mention and your assumptions about my
information source are not correct and the link you provided does not have
the information I received. I do not know where the information I received
from my source came from, other than China. However, I am glad you are
sharing more information. As information comes in, many reports get twisted
and pretty soon fact and fiction become one.

It is my understanding that many stones have been recovered. 12.5kg, 10kg,
2- 5kg, 2.5kg and a 4.2kg. I do not know the originating source of this
information.

The news media in my area has not reported this event to the best of my
knowledge and today is the first I had heard about it. A quick search of AP
news did not indicate anything from China recently doing a search for
'meteor'. It was a quick non-advanced search. In regards to media, it has
basically not been "breaking" news for what-ever reason.

Has it been determined what kind of meteorites are being recovered?

If you are hunting, I do hope you find more and I wish you good luck!

Kind Regards,

Jim