[meteorite-list] Man Claims Rockhaven Meteorite Find

From: Chris Spratt <cspratt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 14:14:38 -0800

I've been questioned on my last post. My self and a fellow collector
(also a Canadian) queried about re-exporting a repatriated
Canadian meteorite and received this from Richard Herd curator of the
National Meteorite Collection in Ottawa.

"Once Canadian meteorites are repatriated, they become as they always
were: cultural property (any mass even a nanogram) and subject to the
Cultural Property Export and Import Act (1977); they need a permit to be
re-exported regardless of their provenance/collection history. There has
been debate about the so-called 35-year rule."

Chris. Spratt
Victoria, BC
Canada