[meteorite-list] Nobel Prizewinning Quasicrystal Fell From Space

From: Yinan Wang <veomega_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 22:47:12 -0500

You can see the original article here:
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/01/03/1111115109.full.pdf+html

They don't really talk about the original rocks, just the sample
they're working with is a few millimeters. Found in a claybed in a
stream in eastern Russia. So, no fusion crust, just some metallic
crystals.

Back story is pretty interesting:
"As Steinhardt tells the story, the Florence museum had bought it in
1990 from a now-deceased private collector in Amsterdam, as part of a
job lot of 10,000 samples. Bindi tracked down the collector?s widow,
who agreed to let the scientists look at secret diaries that included
details of an ?exchange? ? or smuggling operation ? in Romania. After
further detective work, including talking to a former Russian
secret-service agent who had helped to smuggle the rock out of the
country, the scientists found V. V. Kryachko, the man who in 1979 had
first dug the rock from sticky clay in the remote Chukotka region of
Russia, just across the Bering Strait from Alaska. Steinhardt and his
colleagues trekked out to Chukotka last summer to examine the site for
signs of quasicrystals, but have not yet published their findings"
- http://www.nature.com/news/the-quasicrystal-from-outer-space-1.9728#/b1

-Yinan