[meteorite-list] Are Mars Meteorites Magnetic?

From: pshugar at messengersfromthecosmos.com <pshugar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:25:01 -0700

Hello list, Greg, Bernd,
Yes, everone uses the term magnetic but
that is not the proper word for what they
are trying to convey.
Greg, you are correct in your definition.
The correct term is Permeability.
Permeability is defined as the ability to be
attracted to a magnet.
Everything has Permeability, but it is to such
a small degree that the object will not stick to
the magnet. Almost all living things contain
some iron, which makes them have a slight Permeability.
There are only three metals with a high enough
Permeability to become a magnet. these are
iron, nichol, and colbalt. Some stainless steel
can have Permeability by deformation, that is, being
bent out of shape.
If you get bent out of shape, maybe you can be
attracted to a magnet. :)
A magnet attracts the iron because the iron has
Permeability.
Magnetic is the term meaning having the properties
of a magnet.
This is sorta like Meteroid, meteor, meteorite.
I'm sorry that I did not get this out sooner, but
life got in the way.
Pete Shugar