[meteorite-list] Wanted: Meteorites from Mercury

From: Carl Agee <agee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 06:55:03 -0700

Sterling makes some good points. The other thing besides trapped
atmospheric gases that make the SNC's "planetary" is their relatively
young igneous crystallization ages (except for ALH84001) -- indicating
geologically long-lived volcanism on a large parent body. All angrites
have ancient crystallization ages, in fact SAH99555 has perhaps the
oldest crystallization age of any igneous rock in the known solar
system. It is assumed that a body of Mercurian size would have at
least a billion years of igneous activity and probably longer (like
the Moon). If so it might take several 10's of millions of years to
form a permanent crust from which to derive meteorites. Hence the
"zero age" of angrites do not fit this picture well, more likely a
smaller body, but not definitive. On the other hand, neither do the
aubrites. As much as I would like our "low-FeO" 1-ton Norton County
aubrite to be a Mercurian meteorite, this also seems unlikely because
of it ancient age ~4.55 BY. The color argument is a tricky one because
we have no idea what causes the Mercurian regolith to be darker than
say an aubrite, and this is because of the intense stream of solar
wind on rock surfaces which may have a huge on surface coloration.
Another thing to remember is that none of the orbiters at Mars have
ever spotted a terrain on the martian that is exactly the same as SNC
meteorites, so based just on orbital data you would never know SNCs
are from Mars -- dust coating is a big problem. There probably isn't
as much dust on Mercury, but keep in mind that the interpretation of
spectral data from orbit is as much art as it is science and
ground-truth calibrations are hard to come by, so knowing the Sun's
interaction with the Mercurian regolith maybe just as problematic.
This is definitely a work in progress! Of course a NASA sample return
mission would be my recommendation! I'm not picky, Mercury, Venus,
Mars...

Carl Agee

Message: 7