[meteorite-list] What's going on in the background?

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 12:57:27 -0500 (EST)

"What's going on in the background?"

Hola Martin, Comes meteoritae;

It would seem Sigismondo d' Conti (1432 -1512) commissioned this 1511
painting to commemorate how he narrowly escaped death by a fragmenting
cannonball during the 1439 seige of Foligno, by the Status Pontificius
who were retook his city after Corrado IV Trinci withdrew it from the
Pope's tributary possessions.

Conti attributed his survival to his guardian angel. He would have
been about 7 years old during the seige, and was probably in a process
of atonement and praise God, since he would die with a year after the
painting was finished. Foligno is in the background under a rainbow,
or halo, probably to show the presence of the angel (the left arch in
your partial image of the painting). The projectile is represented on
the right.

Alternately, in Abraham Kaplan's word's

"I call it the law of the instrument, and it may be formulated as
follows: Give a small boy a hammer, and he will find that everything he
encounters needs pounding. It comes as no particular surprise to
discover that a scientist formulates problems in a way which requires
for their solution just those techniques in which he himself is
especially skilled."

Of course Mr. Kaplan didn't imagine what we would imagine a hammer
could be ;-)

Kindest wishes
Doug