[meteorite-list] NASA Adminstrator Meets With Apollo Astronauts, Agency Will Work Cooperatively to Resolve Artifact Ownership Issues

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:39:52 -0800 (PST)

Jan. 9, 2012

David Weaver/Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1600
david.s.weaver at nasa.gov / bob.jacobs at nasa.gov

RELEASE: 12-006

NASA ADMINISTRATOR MEETS WITH APOLLO ASTRONAUTS;
AGENCY WILL WORK COOPERATIVELY TO RESOLVE ARTIFACT OWNERSHIP ISSUES

Washington -- The following is a statement from NASA Administrator
Charles Bolden regarding the ownership of early space exploration
mementos and artifacts:

"Earlier today, I had a good meeting with former Apollo astronauts Jim
Lovell, Gene Cernan, Charlie Duke, Rusty Schweickart and other
representatives of former astronauts and agency personnel, where we
discussed how to resolve the misunderstandings and ownership
questions regarding flight mementos and other artifacts.

"These are American heroes, fellow astronauts, and personal friends
who have acted in good faith, and we have committed to work together
to find the right policy and legal paths forward to address
outstanding ownership questions.

"I believe there have been fundamental misunderstandings and unclear
policies regarding items from the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Skylab
programs, and NASA appreciates the position of the astronauts,
museums, learning institutions and others who have these historic
artifacts in personal and private collections.

"We also appreciate their patience and will explore all policy,
legislative and other legal means to resolve these questions
expeditiously and clarify ownership of these mementos, and ensure
that appropriate artifacts are preserved and available for display to
the American people."

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-