[meteorite-list] 2nd Annual Eating Around Tucson - 2012

From: John Teague <volgems_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:44:53 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Hey, List Members!

I have it on good authority that Tucson is fast approaching! With that in mind, I am once again giving my ?Annual Eating Around Tucson? list. This list has been put together with over twenty years of attending the shows. These are my opinions (well, my wife, Cookie, too!) only. I have no vested interest in any of these establishments, no free food, etc! I just like good food! Maybe you will find my/our tastes different from yours but all of these are worth a try!

I?m leaving for Tucson Friday of this week! This spring, I was finally able to retire from my ?real? job of teaching! One item on my ?bucket list? was to drive (rather than fly, which I have done for 15-20 years!) and enjoy more of Arizona. We have side trips planned to Meteor Crater, Bisbee, etc. And, I will get to attend the MAIN show for my first time (about time, huh?)! My wonderful wife is still working and will not be able to fly out until the end of the month. I hope to get some food scouting done before she arrives and have some new places for her to visit!

I am adding some new locations suggested by list members last year after my initial post. I did get to try some of them and enjoyed them VERY much. I hope to add more this year!

* Pat's Drive In, 1202 West Niagara Street, 520-624-0891
I should not list this first, but I AM! I first read about Pat's in Arizona Highways magazine. It is a tradition in Arizona! It is on a side street off N. Grande Ave, between Speedway and St. Marys. It is near the condo that we rent each year. I had driven within half a block of it for years and did not know it existed! If you like the old drive in restaurants, this IS the place for you! If you like greasy fries by the pound, this is for you! If you like GREAT chili hotdogs, this IS the place for you, please note that they have three degrees of heat for their chili!

We have three "favorites" that we think everyone should try at least once. In no particular order:

* La Fuente Restaurant, 1749 N. Oracle Rd., 520-623-8659
REALLY good Mexican/Tex-Mex food. The lunch buffet is very good and very reasonable. If you're there for dinner, be sure to order the Guacamole made table-side. It is VERY GOOD!

* Silver Saddle Steak House, 6th Ave. & I-10 (310 E. Benson Highway), 520-622-6253
This place is near downtown and has some of the best steak that I've had in Tucson. If you're going for dinner, it is best to get there early or be prepared to wait 30 minutes to an hour. It IS worth the wait! I do not think that they take reservations.

* Lil Abner's Steakhouse, 8501 N Silverbell Rd., 520-744-2800
This is a MUST for Tucson show visitors. I remember going there a lot of years ago when this place was truly "in the middle of nowhere"! If you go this year, you'll she how that has changed. It use to be a drive out into the desert! Any of the show weekends will have tons of show folks there! The steaks rival Silver Saddle but everything is served with a salad, beans, and bread! LOVE the atmosphere there!

* Daisy Mae's Steak House, 2735 W. Anklam Rd., 520-792-8888. This is just down the street from the condo we rent while in Tucson. Great steaks!

Other recommendations:

Breakfast recommendations:
* Blue Willow, 2616 N. Campbell Ave. Tucson, AZ 520-327-7577
If you want to take time for a nice, leisurely breakfast, this is THE place! Food is great, prices are reasonable. It is in a house converted to a restaurant.

* Los Betos Mexican Food, 914 E Speedway Blvd, 520-884-5291 and 32 N Campbell Ave 520-628-7462 plus several other around town.
If you're looking for something that will keep you going through MOST of a day visiting shows without having to stop to eat lunch, try the burritos at any Los Betos! There are many breakfast burritos available and VERY reasonably priced. Last year the one on Speedway was closed for remodeling. I hope it has reopened as it is so convenient to several of the shows. Look for a Los Betos!

Fun evening choice:
* Chuy's Baja Broiler, 3100 E Speedway Blvd, 520-326-4969 plus several other around town!
Good food, GREAT chip and salsa bar, but if you go, you MUST the pitcher of Margaritas! Don't order a pitcher just for yourself IF you are driving! 'Nuff said!

* Country Folks Restaurant, 1015 East Benson Highway, 520-622-8844
This is right next door to Marty Zinn's show at the Quality Inn on Benson Hwy. They have a very reasonable priced buffet for all three meals! Good food and plenty of it. We usually try to schedule a couple of days around Country Folks for breakfast or lunch! Really nice folks! I must say that sometimes the buffet is not up to par after the "regular" breakfast or lunch times. Other times it is GREAT! And you can walk next door to or from the show!

Tradition choices:
El Charro Cafe, Bar Toma! & Gift Shop, 311 N. Court Ave., 622-1922
This place has been in business since 1922 in Tucson! That says it all! The restaurant is located in the original family home in the El Presidio
Historic District.

El Minuto Cafe, 354 S. Main Ave., 882-4145
This is my wife's favorite for Mexican food!

Mi Nidito Cafe, 1813 S. 4th Ave.; 622-5081
I have not visited this one but it comes HIGHLY recommended by locals. We tired to get in a couple of times and the wait was between 1 and 2 hours!

I'm sure there are other great places to eat. We are open for suggestions! I hope others will offer their suggestions! (I am including some suggestions from others at the end of this e-mail. I am certainly going to try some of them this trip!)

Bon app?tit! (Being from Tennessee, I'm not quite sure what that means ... but it sounds good!)

Hope to see you in Tucson! (Look for the bearded guy wearing a Tennesse orange "T" cap, and with a hungry, bewildered look on his face ... and with the Tucson 'stoop'! If you don't understand that last one, you've not been to Tucson enough!!!)

John Teague
Volunteer Gems
Melbourne, FL
(Formerly Knoxville, Tennessee!)

----------------------------------
Suggestions from Paul Head:
Poco and Mom's on Kolb Road just north of 22nd Street. They specialize in Hatch Chile dishes. 1060 S. Kolb Road. 520-325-7044
>From Elayne (sorry, I?ve lost your last name!):
Breakfast-Lunch: The Ajo Cafe on Ajo and Country Club by TEP and the sister cafe Bread and Butter on NW corner E. 22nd St. and S. Columbus Picture Mel's diner and Flo is there taking your order at the counter or booth. Home made pie and cinn. rolls!!

Great Italian: Caruso's.... on N. 4th Ave at 6th. Do not miss the spumoni... fabu. Gavi's on Broadway at Pantano out East usually a wait at both.. go early.

Great Sushi: Kampai Sushi... NW corner Swan & Speedway Also Sushi Cho on SW corner Broadway and Campbell/Kino look for Carl's Junior.

Mexican: I agree with El Minudo on Main close the the convention center not the other one. But then I got turned on to Rosa's Mexican Food on SW corner Fort Lowell and N. Campbell set back in the SW corner look for it.. It is worth it! Pick up a dozen tamales at Tucson Tamale company to take back to the hotel... don't eat there too small. And for the very best go to Nogales Mexico.

Indian: Gandi's on Fort Lowell at Stone.. good spicy food and nan wonderful nan

French: Le Rendez-Vous on Fort Lowell at Alvernon real French food.... heaven.