[meteorite-list] I'm Baaaaack... :)

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:35:51 -0500 (EST)

Hi Gary, What a great example you are and welcome back, you're a great
fighter and I hope you're kicking butt!

Jim's is one point of view and I understand most do something like
that. But keep in mind that absolutely nothing beat a re-etch. If the
meteorite has oxidized somewhat, you will have on a microscopic level
pitting that is catalytic to more oxidation and you no longer have a
good surface - it's gone like a pristine magnetic recording on a warped
record.

I feel the better answer is not to try top cut corners by loading more
foreign chemicals. Why not just buff and polish it, rinse/dry a few
cycles in distilled water, and buy some nitric acid and etch it
yourself. Really, when it comes to work, The FRAM man has the answer:

"You can pay me (a little) now, or pay me (a lot) later".

And I know you're not afraid to roll up your sleeves!

Here:
$12 Item number 981 V 2901
you can use straight
from here: