[meteorite-list] Etching solution msds ferric chloride

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 02:12:54 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for that MSDS Steve. So useful for the properties of ferric
chloride conveniently in your link.

One more thing to the discussion which IMO is constructive and useful
to anyone considering etching with some practical numbers but by no
means intended to be a manual sicne there are many variations that are
successful - the objective is simply to eat metal in a uniform and
contriolled manner ... But first a comment on the water in etchants:

Great all the info on these MSDSs...

for example, Steve's MSDS lists the composition of the Ferric Chloride
etchant:

9 % ferric chloride hexahydrate
91 % water

So this particular ferric chloride solution, quite a typical one, is
94.6% water!

It is low grade if you buy circuit board etchant complete with all the
unfiltered contaminants that are permissible and which can get into the
meteorite and contaminate it. It seems a bit much to me that so many
people worry about water getting in the meteorites with the nitric acid
procedure and for this reason demand pure alcohol, etc., and then some
other (or even the same) people etch with a solution that is 95% water
and don't think twice.

That is the reason I recommend a stock of 2 N to 3 N nitric acid which
is relatively mild and with, eg., a 50:50 dilution upon etching will
give something in the neighborhood of 6% on the low side if I remember
the math right just now, ignoring any (insignificant) density change.
If we go on the side of extra caution to avoid any potential criticism,
and have the patience and use the 2 N solution, a 50:50 w:w mix with
even pure ethanol might still result in around a nitric
acid:ethanol:water ratio of 6%:50%:44%. That's 44% water. If you used
50% ethanol (100 proof) you would be 69% water or so. Still well below
the 95% water used in FeCl3 etching.

On the other hand, even concentrated nitric acid mixed with pure 200
proof (100%) ethanol will yield a solution of a few percent water at
etching concentrations. I just don't see the benefit of worrying over
minimizing so much the water and making in favor of purehydroscopic
alcohol, since there is plenty of water around anyway. Perhaps someone
else has a good explanation, but I don't know it. No benefit that
three successive drying/alcohol bath cycles couldn't erase much better
anyway and when you consider the humidity in the atmosphere it all
becomes 'why bother?' for specimens that aren't hermetically sealed.

Then there is the suggestion of using dilute Nitric Acid alone, no
alcohol to deal with mixing and a 3 N stock solution is perfect to make
the range of concentrations you would want to etch. 3 N nitric is
probably something above 15% nitric acid, which means it is something
like 85% water. If you are used to this and have a procedure, you
could use this solution straight, however the best is probably a 50/50
dilution with water.

So the above are my recommendations spelled out. If anyone uses any
different concentrations with the straight acid it would be nice to
hear about. Solutions of 1.5 to 3.0 N nitric acid are much safer to
handle that muriatic acid and if it gets on you, a quick rinse is a
quick solution. The one major rule is to always wear eye protection.
I've had concentrate hydrochloric acid go into my eye from a splash as
a kid and there was no ill effect except on the nerves, but I suspect
Nitric acid is more risky in the eye. Visine eyedrops contain
hydrochloric acid I think, but nitric is another story if the burn scar
on my wrist from a lab accident is any indication, though that was
supercharged nitric acid, not the regular concentrated stuff in this
thread. The fuming nitric acid I made was in the 90% to 100% range,
bubbles like the movies mad scientist lab and is as scary as any
chemical possibly can be and it will eat flesh green upon contact.

Anyway, that gives somewhat a description of the dangers of
concentrated nitric acid and the relative mildness of the recommended
low concentrations. If you are extremely concerned you could drop it
down to 1 N, but I find that too slow for me unless I warm the
solution. There are a lot of trade offs going on behind the scenes. A
slow etch is usually more uniform, prettier, but there is more time for
something to go wrong, for some electrochemical reaction to discolor
the meteorite and for contaminants to enter the micro fissures,, get
around the inclusions, etc. That's why I'm on the higher side, and
that is also why FeCl3 is also so popular since it's usually formulated
for fast results. Plus at some point economy becomes important since
the difference in price between 1 N, 2 N and 3 N nitric acid prices is
not much and diluting these already pretty dilute acids is a piece of
cake vs. dealing with the concentrated stuff.

Hope that is helpful tio someone and if you have experience with
different temperatures / concentrations / ratios please post! If there
are any errors be kind to correct them as it is late ;-)

Kindest wisdhes
Doug