[meteorite-list] International Laws related to meteorites link - good info

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 19:11:29 -0700 (PDT)

Jason, I was "going after" the IMCA while I was still a
member and was running for a spot on the board two elections ago. This
is all in the archives unless the purged it to cover up the activities
they are doing.? They still wont account for where all the money they
get in member dues has went, why the non profit status was revoked in
2008, who Daniel K. Cathcart is (the one time owner) Anyone know him?
Who the current owner is (Adam Hupe?) how and why he came to own it...

As a member of the IMCA, I lost a lot of faith in the group for the lack
of answers to questions many had. Not just me. I was just the most
outspoken about it. I even went to say that if I was not elected, I
would be kicked out of the group within months for what I was pressing
them to answer and the fact they would not. I and MANY other members asked for
budget info for years. They would NOT release it.

They wont say who and how many members are free (Bribed?) to be members... They are silent just like on this.

Legal status of meteorites and import export goees to the heart of the IMCA
code of ethics yet they do nothing about it to help the community.

This is not me being mad about not being a member or even your stupid
blacklist site you have. Its about honesty of the group who is supposed
to (or should be) the go to for real meteorite info and authenticity.
The IMCA is useless unless you want the logo to sell meteorites under some
false and half hearted rules and ethics. When Mike Blood offered to buy
the entire board Robert rules, they said no! Why? That is a great
resource they choose not to accept his kind offer.

Please dont get me wrong, there are some great people in the IMCA and even the board has a few good ones, but not many who are in actual control. Its a marketing gimmick. Thats it. The IMCA could be great, but they are not
currently effective in pretty much anything.

The official reason I am not a member is because I tried to export a
buzzard coulee prior to me getting the permit. (which I did get) and the reason I wanted it was to have a very fresh sample to provide to a
friend for study and thin sectioning... I did not want to wait several
months for it and who knows what contamination to occur... NO OTHER
REASON. I have the emails from the IMCA board showing this and will
provide them to ANYONE who wants to see. Anyone who says different,
please speak up now.

I could go on, but I will wait to see if anything I said here is
addressed... likely will be silent as usual and try to sweep these
things under the rug. So again, please IMCA board, owner, president,
vice president? Any want to answer the questions above?

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WanderingStarMeteorites