[meteorite-list] IMCA Money Matters & my resignation

From: Maria Haas <dragonsoup_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 21:41:02 -0700

Dear Michael and List,

I have too much respect for Art and this list to start or continue an argument so I am going to respond to this as carefully as possible. I would like to apologize to anyone in advance if I offend with this email. Please delete this email right now if you don't care to hear anymore about this.

I would like to be perfectly clear that the Foote fundraiser had NO connection to the IMCA. That fundraiser was all me, with the guidance of one of the major donors. No funds came from the IMCA, no funds went through the IMCA, and the IMCA was not involved in any way.

That said and what I have explained below, these entire two paragraphs are ABSOLUTELY not true:

> (they also received other

> money from the IMCA and from individuals who were made aware of their

> peril by the IMCA). While expressing overwhelming and sincere gratitude to

> Those who had sent money, she told me that the IMCA treasurer had later

> contacted her and asked her to return half the money the IMCA had generated

> for them, stating only, "Other people are in need."

> The timing was the worst possible as CJ had just been told by his doctors

> that Gary's life was hanging by a thread and she could loose him at any

> moment. She reports she told the IMCA treasurer that every cent had gone to

> medical costs and basic survival needs. She was then asked for a written

> accounting of how all money she received was spent. CJ told me that at that

> point her emotional state and the circumstances of life and death they were

> facing, hardly allowed for such an accounting and the conversation was

> terminated.

I asked the Footes early on how much money they needed and the three of us agreed that $3,200 was my goal. All totaled, well over twice that amount was raised and distributed to them. All but $235 of that amount was sent directly to their PayPal account and did not pass through my hands.

They had numerous times asked how they would ever repay my kindness and I always told them to help someone else someday. I am in a position to understand their being overwhelmed with so much help from strangers. I have been the recipient of so much kindness since I became disabled that I always feel I owe it to the universe to help everyone I can. Near the end of the fundraiser, another member of our community was in need of help PLUS one of the donors was upset with what the Foote's spent the money on (it was not medical, btw) PLUS there was a misunderstanding(?) about the money raised from items clearly donated to cover my shipping costs. I asked Gary and CJ for $2,000 to pass along to that next family and, well, the rest is a memory I wish I could forget. The Foote's were provided with a spreadsheet of each donation I knew about (Like I said, most of the money went to them directly). Gary was well on the mend when things went awry. I know this because I frequently spoke to him on the phone and he was writ
ing and responding to my emails.

I know in my heart that I did the right thing getting involved but I have to say, my integrity was called into question and my feelings still haven't recovered. I conducted that next fundraiser from zero and haven't gotten involved in one since. Should the Foote's need any of the donation correspondence, PayPal receipts, their emails to me, my emails to them, any of the accounting, etc., I still have each and every bit of it.

Michael Blood, your issue with that painting is with your painter. Not me, not Gary and CJ, not the buyer, and not the IMCA. If we were to use my calculator, 25% of nothing is still ZERO.

Respectfully,

Maria Haas