[meteorite-list] Confusing & Misleading

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 09:19:31 -0400

Hi Gang,

Two bits from the peanut gallery... I have to agree with Capt. Blood
on this one. From a collector's standpoint, it is a valid term. Is
it officially-accepted nomenclature used in abstracts and journals?
No. Is it a term that relays information about the meteorite? Yes.
This whole dust-up is arguing over the semantics over a non-official
term used in a niche field of meteorite collecting.

I'm a "hammerhead" in the sense Michael describes and Iike the idea
that certain stones were documented to strike interesting or unusual
objects, constructs, and living things. If I can get a piece of the
actual stone that struck something, then that is spectacular. If not,
I'd like to get one of it's brothers or sisters, and acquire a
different specimen from that same fall. This is especially true if
the fall has a really good story behind it. What defines a good
story? Well, it certainly isn't NonCom. It's all the collectors,
rich and poor, that pay the dealers and decide what they want to
collect.

Maybe the fall took place on grandma's birthday. Maybe the fall
bopped some kid under a banana tree. Maybe the fall walloped a car.
Maybe a piece of it was used as a tool. Maybe it has some
"historical" value (also subjective). Maybe it showered thousands of
tiny peas and stones over an entire settled area. Maybe it took place
on the same day and month (but different year) of a spouse's birthday.
 Or, perhaps it's a rare type (again, subjective). Maybe it fills a
hole in a type collection.....or geographic collection.....or
aesthetic collection.

This is not about grading diamonds.....not yet.

Want to get technical? What is "crusted" and what is "90% crusted" or
"50% crusted" ?? Unless a stone is accurately measured with a
precision measuring device, the surface area accurately calculated,
and the surface area of crust calculated, then any description of a
stone as such is subjective and not accurate either. Maybe that 50%
crusted stone is actually 40% crusted, or 60% crusted, or 30%.
Different eyes have different ways of describing what they collect or
sell, and the vast majority of the terms used to describe meteorites
are subjective at best.

I've seen experienced people who should know better, describe stones
as "crusted" and there is no fusion crust at all - not even remnant
crust. The term "crusted" is often used to described desert varnish,
wind polish, or both in the same stone. That term gets used a lot
more than "hammer fall" and it's much more misleading.

Or, let's wade into the realm of describing "oriented" stones. There
is a pandora's box of subjective and potentially-misleading
terminology if one ever existed. And even a spirited description of
orientation features (present or imagined) will increase the monetary
value of a specimen by 3x, 5x or more.

Or, one could address the big invisible 500-pound gorilla in the
corner of the room - geography and legalities. You can hear a pin
drop and see tumbleweeds drift by when a discussion digs too deep into
where certain specimens come from and how they entered the private
market. Again, there are a ton of stories there you won't find
documented anywhere online. Some good, some bad, some funny, some not
funny, some interesting...

Lastly, there are some "characters" in the meteorite world. We all
know some. We've all dealt with some. We have good stories and we
have bad stories. But the good stories make meteorites much more
interesting than any other "collectible" (subjective) for collectors
of such things - let's leave it at that and not get our blood pressure
up over such things. (there's the pot calling the kettle black, eh?)

There is room for hammerheads in the collectible world. Science
doesn't have to use the term, or a particular person doesn't have to
use it. But it can still hold value to some people.

Best regards and keep on collectin' (hammers or not),

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG
Web: http://www.galactic-stone.com