[meteorite-list] "Burnham's Celestial Handbook" - ad (Burnham's Meteorites)

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:06:40 -0400

Hi Kevin and List,

Thank you for bringing up Robert Burnham's Celestial Handbooks. These
are not only classics for every star-hopping amateur astronomer from
the pre-GOTO age, but they still hold great value despite their
growing age.

There are a few parallels that can be seen between the lives of
Nininger and Burnham. Nininger was more traveled by far and realized
much more professional and financial success in his life, especially
in "retirement". But they both shared a deep passion, joyful
enthusiasm, and earnest hunger to unlock secrets in their respective
fields. For all intents and purposes, both were mostly self-taught or
were considered unorthodox by their early peers.

At any rate, what some readers of this List may not be aware of, is
that Burnham had keen interests in many other fields besides
astronomy. He was also a ravenous collector of many things - fossils,
books, optics, microscopy, and meteorites. He was known to have some
meteorites scattered in eclectic collection.

Does anyone on this List know anything specific about Burnham's
meteorites? How many did he have? Did he catalog them? Where are
they now? Or, did he only keep a few minor pieces for show and tell
that are no longer extant?

Best regards,

MikeG
--