[meteorite-list] Another Sutter's Mill Update (TKW is now 539g)

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:36:38 -0400

Hi Folks,

Right after I sent out the previous update earlier today, two more
finds came to light. These finds are large (for this fall) and they
push the unofficial TKW to well over 500 grams. Counting these two
finds, the TKW is now 539.29 grams.

When I first started keeping a running tally, I suspected what many of
you suspected - that the actual TKW would be over 500 grams. Well, it
turns out to be true. I have been hearing numerous stories about
unreported stones being found and kept by the finders, or being sold
on the open market. Is it possible that the actual TKW may be closer
to 1000 grams? I guess time will tell.

For the purposes of collector-curiosity and science, I would like to
keep this unofficial TKW tally going into the forseeable future. As
we all know, official TKW's in the Met Bulletin can be wrong, and some
of them are waaaaaaaay off the mark. I don't know if the official
number will be corrected or updated in the Bulletin, so I am going to
keep this unofficial tally going.

If you have found a stone, and you did not report it, please consider
contacting me in private and letting me know so that I may update the
TKW. I promise I will keep your identity confidential and the find
will be listed publicly as "anonymous". Your name will never be
released by me to anyone. It is important that the world knows just
how much of this special meteorite exists. In time, this meteorite
may be very important to science. It is likely that Sutter's Mill
will be America's Tagish Lake or Murchison. Collectors and scientists
alike should have an accurate picture of how much material exists.
Please consider reporting your find - either to Dr. Jenniskens or me
(or both).

And to the boots on the ground - good luck and happy huntings!

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG