[meteorite-list] Hammer Fall

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 13:19:50 -0400 (EDT)

>>As a retired RCAF Radar Tech, I always thought a "Hammer Fall" was the
result of a careless tech leaving a "hammer" on the wing of an aircraft
just
before a scramble. Hammers were often used to fine tune Hughes built
radar
sets like the old MG-2, ha! ha!
Ed Majden<<

That reminds me of the time when I was changing out the HF radio coupler
on a B-52 around midnight. The coupler is located high up on the tail. The
plane was scheduled to take off at the crack of dawn and I was just
finishing up when I dropped a large crescent wrench. I watched it tumble end over
end when the tail gunner canopy got smacked by the wrench and made a small
crack. My heart sank, but not as much as the crew chiefs did. I was done with
 the radio, but he had to stay out there till the entire ton and a half
tail gunner section was replaced. I'm glad it wasn't taken out of my pay
check...I'd still be paying for it. :O)
GeoZay