[meteorite-list] Robert Burnham

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 01:48:38 GMT

Michael,

Actually it was my mentor, Harvey Nininger that gave me the idea of the so called "meteorite cane" back in the 1960's. I might have popularized it when there were very few meteorite collectors, and used it every field I searched My fist one had a big General horseshoe magnet. I used it to pick up a few irons in a casual walk around the crater in 1967 or '68. So, For whatever reason the crater administrators did not seem to mind, and I did it in broad daylight right under the visitor center.

Things have changed since then. And back then there were not many "nerds" like me collecting meteorites.

Steve.