[meteorite-list] First Meteorite Found in Antarctica?

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:40:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ingo,

I had always thought it was by the Japanese in the 1960's, but I came across this
reference in the citation for asteroid 4456 Mawson:

 Named in memory of Sir Douglas Mawson (1882-1958), Australian geologist
 and Antarctic explorer.

 During 1907-1909 he took part in the British Antarctic Expedition
 led by Shackleton, and from 1911 to 1914 he led the Australasian Antarctic
 Expedition; on the latter was found the "Adelie Land" meteorite, the first
 to be discovered on the Antarctic continent.

This agrees with what you just said. Thanks!

Ron