[meteorite-list] Fossilized Fruit or meteorite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 23:18:40 -0600

Modern figs come from the Middle East, but the
belief in these ancient figs maybe a mistake. See:
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/Glendive1.htm#fig

Spinifructus antiquus is now believedseems to
be an extinct palmlike plant and these its endocarps:
"Elisabeth McIver (2002) studied these so-called
"figs" associated with fossils of Tyrannosaurus
rex from southwestern Saskatchewan, Canada.
She renamed them Spinifructus antiquus, which
means "ancient spiny fruit." The presence of
spines on the outer fruit wall of well preserved
specimens completely rules out figs. She suggested
that they may be from a palm with pear-shaped
fruits similar to the genera Astrocaryum,
Asterogyne or Barcella."

Whatever you've got a fossil of, it looks more
like real figs than the Spinifructus antiquus.

Sterling K. Webb