[meteorite-list] What private collector has the most localities?

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 13:13:10 -0400

Hi List,

This is a curiosity-based question. I know many list members have
outstanding and enviable collections. The Hupes, Farmer, Cottingham,
Strope, and Kilgore come to mind as dealers/collectors who have insane
collections of meteorites that most collectors would drool over. Main
masses, football-sized planetaries, coffee-table sized slabs of
pallasite, and historical rarities populate many high-end collections.

But, what I am curious about is - number of localities. What
collector has the most localities represented in their collection?
This number could include sub-gram micros, so I am thinking that the
"biggest" collection (in terms of localities and not specimen size)
might not belong to one of the obvious heavyweights we would expect.

If there was a leaderboard for number of localities, who would be
sitting on top of that list?

Using the EOM website as a rough guide, it seems that Gerald Armstrong
has an impressive catalog of localities. But not every major
collector uses the EOM, so who is top dog?

For the record, my own collection numbers about 80 localities. This
number fluctuates frequently because my collection has a high turnover
rate, and I have had to sell off my entire collection three times to
pay bills. My locality count has dipped as low as 10 and peaked as
high as 130. Of course, this is small potatoes. LOL.

Best regards,

MikeG

--
Galactic Stone & Ironworks - MikeG